CKP Mandal, Vile Parle
- Category: CKP Mandal, Vile Parle
- Published: Monday, 03 February 2014 17:01
CHANDRASENIYA KAYASTHA PRABHU MANDAL, VILE PARLE
Vile Parle, the well-known suburb of Mumbai today, was a small village in 1932-33 when an organization of the local Kayastha community “CHANDRASENIYA KAYASTHA PRABHU DNYATIGRUHA” was active. There were quite a number of plots with small bungalows families in Tejpal Scheme. The CKP Social Workers purchased a plot of 600 sq. yards on Tejpal Scheme Road No.4 on 4th February 1932. They made a down payment of Rs.651/= against the cost of Rs.1151/= and paid the balance amount in 20 installments of Rs.25/=. They built a small building of 40 x 20 feet on there the plot. The cost of the building was Rs.350/= which was paid by a member Late Yashwavtrao Thakare. The building didn’t even have a toilet. Late P. K. Karnik, Late Mr. Deshmukh & Mr. Pradhan and other CKP members were active and met in the Dnyatigruha regularly.
The whole year would be packed with programmes like Dassera, Kojagiri Pournima, Tilgul Function of Makar Sankranti, Ram Ganesh Gadkari Jayanti, Annual Get-together etc After the World War II, the activities slowed down. It became difficult to organize programmes with 4 Annas subscriptions. Later, many CKP families settled down in Vile Parle and formed another CKP organizes viz. CHANDRASENIYA KAYASTHA PRABHU MANDAL, VILEPARLE. The Mandal started various programmes. Some CKP leaders did not approve of the idea of existence of two different Trusts of CKP community in one town. They applied to the Charity Commissioner for merger of the two Trusts under Section 50A(2) of Bombay Public Trust Act 1950. The application was upheld in 1960 and the merged Trust was called CHANDRASENIYA KAYASTH PRABHU MANDAL, VILEPARLE. At present. the Mandal has over 650 members on its rolls.
After merger of the two Trusts, the need for construction of new community building (Dnyatigruha) was felt by all. In 1967, the Mandal had Rs.1000/= in Maharashtra Co-op. Bank and Rs.850/= in Bank of Maharashtra. One can get an idea how difficult it was to erect a building under those adverse conditions.
Managing Committee and Office Bearers were working regularly. Building Construction Committee was formed. Donations were collected by visiting every CKP home. Innumerable workers were involved in the job. Adv. Sharad Mokashi, Dr. Dinkar Karnik, Bal Kulkarni, Vasantrao Chitnis, Nana Potnis, Chitre, Y. R. Pradhan, Nana Deshpande and so many others were busy in collection of donations. It was difficult and not enough to collect the required funds just by visiting community homes. So in 1973, a show of the drama “Naktiche Lagna” by the famous “Sahitya Sangh” was organized. Souvenir was published on the occasion and it gave handsome returns. About the same time, “SNEHASHALAKA” the Vile Parle CKP ladies’ organization was established. The workers of that organization were quite enthusiasts. Late Ushatai Deshpande, Late Saralatai Shrotri, Smt. Kamal Kulkarni, Smt. Shakuntala Deshpande, Smt. Pramodtai Mokashi, Smt. Shalinitai Khopkar and so many ladies were busily involved in CKP community work. Thereafter, five more Souvenirs were published by the Mandal on various occasions. The sixth Souvenir was published at the event of the 12th Akhil Bharatiya Samajonnati Parishad, Vile Parle, Mumbai in 1986. This Parishad was a grand success and combined with the Souvenir, it was a great financial impetus for the Mandal. It was possible to repay loan liabilities worth Rs.1 lac at that time.
Building plans were prepared. Shri Kumar Gadkari was quite helpful in the job. The architect firm of Shri Shashi Mahadkar and Shri Vilas Joshi were appointed as the Architects for the project. In 1974, Shri Sudhirbhau Joshi, the then Mayor of Bombay Municipal Corporation and Municipal Commissional Late Shri Desai helped to get the plans approved. In 1974, Foundation Stone was laid by the hands of Dr, Hemchandra Gupte. But it the actual work could not be started for want of funds.
The construction worked started in 1976. Deposits were collected from Members on interest. The responsibility of paying the interest regularly was meticulously done by Shri kamalakar Mohorikar. Eventually, all the deposits were repaid. As the construction progressed there was shortage of funds. At the juncture in 1981, CKP Sabha, Dadar came to our help with a loan of rs.30,000/=. The Mandal gratefully paid the final installment of the loan to CKP Sabha, Dadar in 1990.
Ground floor Hall and washrooms at Mezzanine floor were constructed. The religious ritual of the Vaastu Pooja was performed by the hands of the veteran CKP social worker from Vile Parle Shri Nanasaheb Nagle. Ground floor was rented out regularly and the Mandal got a regular income source.
The construction contract of the upper floor was given to Shri Nagle. He completed the work without pressurizing for payment. The heirs of Late Dr. Mukundrao Karnik donated Rs.75,000 to the Mandal. So the ground floor as named “LATE MUKUND YASHWANT KARNIK SABHAGRUHA”. The Mandal went on publishing Souvenirs on various occasions and received donations regularly. Ground and first floors were ready.
Sons of Late Baburao Kulkarni donated Rs.30,000/=. The hall on the second floor was small with attached terrace. Shri Mohanrao Khopkar donated Rs.16,000 and subsequently Rs.10,000 more. First floor was named as “LATE BHALCHANDRA KESHAV alias BABURAO KULKARNI SABHAGRUHA” and the second floor hall was named as “LATE N. V. KHOPKAR SABHAGRUHA”. At that time, these donation amounts were not only big but important for the Mandal. On 2nd March 1986, the naming ceremony was performed with the holy hands of Saint Shree Gajanan Maharaj Pattekar from Thane. The building was named as “LATE YASHWANTRAO THAKARE DNYATIGRUHA”.
Three years ago, both these halls were renovated. First floor hall was made air-conditioned. The occupancy of the halls increased substantially after this facelift. More and more people started booking the halls for marriages and other events like thread-ceremony, engagement, birthdays, silver/golden/platinum jubilees and other family programmes.
The Mandal is financially very sound. Education Fund has gone above 5 lakhs. Student’s felicitation programmes are being celebrated with great élan. Laxmi Poojan, Kojagiri Pornima, Ram Maruti Utsav, Dnyaneshwar Jayanti, Ram Ganesh Gadkari Smrutidin, Vasantik Utsav etc programmes are being celebrated as regularly and enthusiastically as ever.
The womens’ organization SNEHASHALAKA, is also conducting its programmes with more and more enthusiasm. Their Matrimonial activity deserves a special mention of praise. Snehashalaka holds its meeting regularly on every Wednesday and the Matrimonial activity is conducted every Wednesday and Friday between 6.00 and 7.30 PM. All these activities continue with amazing regularity and devotion. Hats off to the women’s movement!
Three years ago, the Mandal started its Quarterly magazine “PARLEKAR KAYASTH”. Every issue is as attractive as any professional magazine and is published regularly. While it contains articles from eminent writers, it also gives opportunity to amateur writers and poets which is the major aim of the publication.
The 1200 sq.ft. Khopkar Hall could not be of much use as it was too small. Some FSI could be available by handing over part of land to Municipal Corporation for road widening. It was decided to extend the 2nd floor by using this FSI.
One had to climb 57 steps to reach the terrace where only flag hoisting on 15th August and 26th January was organized and senior citizens found it difficult to participate in programme. So it was essential to provide a lift not only for approaching the terrace but also for better use of 2nd floor after expansion.
Architect Shri Pravin Kanekar got the expansion plans with provision of lift prepared and passed. Shri Jayprakash Ranadive played a crucial role in getting these plans approved. The lift was installed and pressed in service first and that immediately helped in improving bookings for the 1st floor hall. Since the lift can accommodate wheel chair, senior citizens and physically challenged persons can make use of the lift and participate in family programmes. The building expansion has also provided for a room for office and a pantry as also modern washrooms.
While the expansion work was in progress, many visitors appreciated the work. The past Chairman of Samajonnati Parishad Shri Rameshchandra Pradhan had come from USA to attend AGM ABCKP Udyog Prabodhini. On seeing the progress of the work, he was so impressed that he announced his donation for Rs.6 lakhs in memory of his late parents and also another Rs.4 lakhs in memory of his wife. The extended portion of the 2nd floor hall is now named as “MANAK AND RAGHUNATH PRADHAN AUDITORIUM”. This auditorium is constructed in such a way that it can be used separately or together with “N. V. KHOPKAR HALL” which has also been renovated to match the new auditorium. The room on the south side of Khopkar hall which was originally constructed as office, is now converted into a Library and named “VIMAL (MIRA) RAMESHCHANDRA PRADHAN GRANTHALAYA”. Thus, the magnanimous donation of total Rs.10 lakhs from Shri Rameshchandra Pradhan has gone a long way to help the Mandal. His parents and wife have been suitably immortalized in our halls by installing their portraits in prominent places.
The newly constructed water tank has a capacity of 30,000 liters. Together with the underground water tank it is fully capable of taking care of water requirements of all the halls together.
While the 2nd floor has a pocket terrace, the terrace on top of the 2nd floor is also magnificent. The new floor tiles of the terrace and the lights fitted around the has given it a look of a magnificent “Terrace Garden”. Trustee Shri Suresh Yashwant Pradhan and his wife Smt. Rohini Pradhan completed 50 years of their happy married life on 10th May 2009. To commemorate this Golden Jubilee, their sons Shri Parag Pradhan and Shri Pushkar Pradhan donated Rs. 1 lakh. Though this donation was unconditional, it was unanimously decided by the joint meeting of Managing Committee, Trustees and Office Bearers to name the garden terrace as SMT. ROHINI ND SHRI SURESH YASHWANT PRADHAN TERRACE”.
On 26th July 2009, a grand inauguration of the new construction was done by the hands of past Trustee Dr. Dinkar M. Karnik and the hall, library and terrace were formally named as described above. In spite of his ill health, Dr. Karnik came to the Mandal in wheelchair. He not only blessed the Mandal by inaugurating the halls, but gave a pleasant surprise by donating Rs.2 lakhs to the building fund without any condition. This magnanimous gesture from a beloved past Trustee touched the hearts of every member and guest present in the function. Though his donation was unconditional, Mandal has given appropriately named the lift after him.